Software engineering is a field with a lot of buzz around it and for good reason. If you have a passion for computers and software, you might be wondering, “is software engineering right for me?”
There are many reasons to be attracted to the information technology field like the salary, the benefits, and the demand that exists for software engineers in a variety of industries. As a software engineer, you can work in a variety of industries ranging from healthcare to banking to manufacturing. Any business that can benefit from software applications may employ software engineers. However, there are some drawbacks.
Software engineering might be right for you if you enjoy learning and are not afraid of a challenge. However, software engineering might not be right for you if you get frustrated easily and do not enjoy working with others or at a desk most of the day.
So, is software engineering right for you? Read on to find out.
How do I know if software engineering is right for me?
Software engineering is the process of creating and maintaining software applications. Software engineers must have extensive knowledge of computer science, programming languages, and operating systems.
Software engineering may be a good field for you if:
- You enjoy learning: To become a software engineer, you have to have an extensive knowledge base. Many, but not all, software engineers have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Additionally, the field of information technology changes quickly. According to a LinkedIn survey, software engineers spend more time learning new skills in comparison to other professionals. As a software engineer, you also need to be able to recognize mistakes that you have made in the past and be able to learn from them.
- You have good communication skills: It can be easy to think of a software engineer as a professional working in isolation. However, this isn’t necessarily the truth. Many software engineers have to collaborate with each other as well as other business partners and stakeholders. Soft skills and being a good team player are important.
- You have good critical thinking skills: Software engineers must be adept problem solvers. A small error in your code can cause big problems. You must be able to think through a problem and solve it to be a good software engineer.
- You have good time management skills: As a software engineer, you may often be working on your own while being expected to complete projects and produce deliverables and other contributions. You must be able to manage your time well to complete your work.
Is software engineering a good career path?
The short answer is yes-software engineering is certainly a good career path. Reasons why software engineering is a good career path include:
- You have a variety of career options within the field: For example, you can choose to focus on software quality assurance, full-stack development, or machine learning. You also can choose to work in a large variety of industries.
- There is room for advancement: You will typically start as a more entry-level programmer, but can advance to more senior-level positions. You also could choose to become a manager eventually if that is the direction that you choose.
- There is a great job outlook: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for software developers is projected to grow by 22% from 2020 to 2030 which is much faster than other career paths.
- The salary-According to Glassdoor.com, the average salary of a software engineer is $108,249 per year.
Can you work from home as a software engineer?
The ability to work from home as a software engineer can be one of the biggest perks of entering the field. Software engineering is perhaps one of the best fields for remote workers. Although the field does require some collaboration with co-workers, much of the work can be done individually. Additionally, many of the meetings that you will have to have with co-workers will likely take place virtually.
In fact, as a software engineer, it can be beneficial in some ways to work from home. If you are someone who is self-motivated, working remotely can make you more productive as you can more freely focus on your code vs the distractions and water cooler talk that the office can bring. Not to mention the benefits of working remotely. The ability to work remotely can make software engineering a great fit for parents or those who like to travel often.
Not all software engineering positions offer remote work. However, if it is something that is important to you, it is possible to find a job that offers it. With more people than ever working from home post-pandemic (and this is likely to stay) there is a good chance that many employers will offer you the opportunity.
The Bottom Line
Software engineering is a great career path, but it is certainly not right for everyone. However, if you are someone who enjoys learning about computer science and has great communication and time management skills, software engineering might be right for you.
The benefits of working as a software engineer such as working from home, the salary, and the ability to have a more flexible work environment are certainly worth it if you feel that the field is a good fit.
Do you think software engineering would be a good fit for you?
Click here for some tips to find a work-from-home job.